Saturday 9 February 2013

Saturday soup (vegetable and lentil)

I do a lot of leftover soups.  It's a great way of using up old vegetables that need to be cleared out before I buy in some fresh ones.  Being a working lady, I tend to make them on Saturday, hence the name.  The one I've just made is scrummy, fat free and suitable for vegetarians.  The vegetables really were rather old and going soft and I had to cut bad bits off, but the flavour of older veg can be great.

Ingredients (to serve at least four, probably more):  amounts are very approximate
one medium sweet potato, peeled and roughly chopped
two medium potatoes, ditto
one or two parsnips, ditto
some tomatoes, ditto
half a large onion, ditto
two handfuls of red lentils
a good grinding of black pepper
one heaped dsp marigold vegetable bouillon (or more)
a squidge of garlic puree
one dsp korma paste (I used Pataks)
salt - add when cooked.

Method.
Put all the ingredients apart from the salt in a pan and cover with water.  Simmer until the veg are soft and the lentils mushy.  Zizz to a smooth consistency.
(I then push it all through a sieve, but it's not essential)
Add more water if it's a bit too thick.
Taste, season and taste again - it doesn't need a lot of salt.

Serve piping hot with crusty bread and/or a dollop of cream or yogurt on the top.

(might add a photo later, if I remember to take one)

No comments:

Post a Comment