Monday 25 February 2013

Savoury crumble topping

This works really well on lots of different bases.  I tend to use it on savoury mince or on a tomato based vegetable mixture but I have used it to top a creamy chicken and mushroom mixture and it was just lovely.

I've made it so often I just throw ingredients in without measuring so it's a bit hit and miss.  Sorry (again).


Ingredients
About five heaped serving spoonfuls of plain flour (can be wholemeal) depending on how large your serving spoons are - mine are medium sized.
About 60g butter - enough to run into the flour to a breadcrumb consistency.  It might be a bit more, go with how it looks and feels.
some oats - as much as you feel comfortable with, it shouldn;t overwhelm the basic crumble
some finely grated cheese.  I use cheddar or parmesan (or vegetarian equivalent thereof)
Seasoning: always salt and pepper, then maybe mixed herbs, mustard powder, paprika or whatever you fancy (or have in the cupboard).

Method.
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Stir in the oats and the grated cheese.
Stir in the seasonings.
Spread over a base and bake at around 180 for about 20 to 30 minutes.

It's really scrummy and makes a change from mashed potato topping.  You can fool yourself that it is quite healthy because of the oats!!
If there's any left over that you didn't spread over the bottom, it freezes nicely and doesn't need defrosting before you use it.

And one day I will get round to measuring things out carefully.


2 comments:

  1. I cannot eat gluten so will try this with chestnut flour and see what happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never come across chestnut flour before. Do let me know how it works out.
    J x

    ReplyDelete