Sunday 17 March 2013

Joy's Chicken in a spicy mango sauce: Thermomix

Much later edit: 30-3-13
I realise that the recipe below is indeed rather like another one, which I may have seen and subconsciously absorbed.  My apologies to the creator of that recipe.  Perhaps it was a case of great minds but I suspect it was already ringing around my head from seeing it elsewhere.



I made this today, totally off the top of my head without any visual referral to any existing recipes so I'm claiming it as mine even thought it might be similar to others.  After all, there's nothing new under the sun, is there.

It's a work in progress.  Already I am thinking how it could be changed!  But here it is, as it is so far.


Chicken in a spicy mango sauce

Ingredients
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
1 red chilli, deseeded (because I’m a wuss)
2 cloves of garlic
1 inch plump thumb of root ginger, peeled and cut into little slices
20g macadamia nuts (or cashews or almonds) could add more if wanted
30g butter

the fruit from one large mango, cubed
450 ml very watery home made coconut milk or 1 can coconut milk made up to 450ml with water (I used the former)
1 tsp stock paste
one could add other ingredients – small-cubed sweet potato, a handful of lentils*, etc.

450 g chicken breast, cubed

Method:
put the onion, chilli, garlic, ginger, nuts and butter in the bowl and blend until almost paste like.  Then cook on 90/4 mins/speed 4.  Zizz again.

Add the mango.  Zizz until mango is mushy.

Add the coconut milk and the stock paste.  Cook 5 mins/90/speed 4.  Give one last zizz until the sauce is smooth.

Add the chicken pieces and any other additions.  Cook 20 mins/100/reverse spoon.

Check chicken is cooked.  If the sauce is too thin (unlikely if you've added lentils, etc, but could be if it’s just chicken), add some thickening granules and then REVERSE stir (don’t do what I did and forward stir for a few seconds until I realised so I ended up with small bits of chicken than I had intended)
Serve on rice with a dollop of yogurt.

I have no idea if it will freeze.  I should think so, because coconut milk is OK for freezing.
One could add other ingredients – small-cubed sweet potato, a handful of lentils, etc.

* if the lentils are to be a thickener, grind them to powder first, before doing anything else, and reserve until needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment