Saturday 11 May 2013

Banana and bacon pancakes with maple syrup: recipe and cheaper than chips

I started this last week and, while it was tasty, it wasn't quite right.  I modified my ideas and here's the result. Delicious (I think so, anyway)


Banana and bacon pancakes with maple syrup



Ingredients
60g cooking bacon (Morrison’s Value)  
30g self raising flour
1 small very ripe banana
60mls milk
very small pinch salt
Small knob of butter, if needed
1 tsp maple syrup

Method:
Fry the bacon in its own fat until cooked and as you like it.  Set aside in a warm oven.  Keep the fat
Make the batter.  Place the flour and the pinch of salt in a bowl and add 1/3 of the banana, mushed up (I used my hands).
Add the milk and whisk into the batter.  It won’t be totally smooth because of the banana, unless you zizz it.
Make sure the bacon pan in hot (add a little butter if needed) and pour in half the batter.  Fry on one side, then turn and cry the other side, then tip onto a warmed plate (and keep warm.  Do the same with the other half of the batter – you’ll probably need a little butter in the pan first.
Thinly slice the rest of the banana.

Serve by arranging the two pancakes on the warm plate, scatter over the sliced banana, top with the bacon and then drizzle the 1tsp of maple syrup over the top.

Eat straight away.  Delicious.

And, with the ingredients I used which included a free banana it cost me 24p in total.  

No comments:

Post a Comment