Sunday 26 May 2013

Recipe: Jack's carrot, cumin and kidney bean burger

The original recipe can be found here, on Jack Monroe's site, A Girl Called Jack.

As always, I adapted it to suit what I had.  I used a value tin of kidney beans, an onion, some celery that really needed using up. more carrot than it said because I have lots of freebies in the fridge, some soda bread crumbs left over from yesterday and this morning (just half a slice and a nog-end) and an egg yolk that also really needed using up too.

I also used Thermione but the order of stuff was more or less the same.  She chopped the onion, carrot and celery into fine pieces for me and sautéed them in a little oil.  I added cumin, seasonings and dried mixed herbs (I don't like coriander), then added the kidney beans (which were lovely and soft so didn't need cooking any more) and pulsed until softly chunky.  I then let it cool before adding the breadcrumbs and the egg yolk.

It's swings and roundabouts with the difference in cost.  The kidney beans cost more, the carrot was free, overall it made six burgers (using my burger press - the link is to the waxed discs but the press is the one I have, not the updated one they now sell) at 9p a burger.  We had two each for lunch, me, Beth and Alex, with a carrot coleslaw and some chips and I thought it was absolutely delicious!  I am definitely making more.

Thanks, Jack!  I love your recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment