Tuesday 11 June 2013

Living Below The Line: more about day 3 and a sort of recipe.

Day three!!  More than half way through.  Amazing - now I KNOW we will make it to the end.  Starting on Sunday was canny for various reasons but especially for me, who thinks in weekdays and weekends because there's still three more week days but only two LBTL days.!

So, today - all went according to plan which was good because things were a bit dismal in other ways but never mind about that!
The porridge was porridgy, the soup was soupy and the baked bean crumble was absolutely delicious and very, very filling.  Supper - not going to want that!!!  I can save it for another day.

I have to admit I am being rather less careful than Beth in spreading the cost out to around £1.00 a day.  I've spent a fiver, I have a jolly good five day menu, it's all going to even out in the end.  I'm pretty sure I will have bits and pieces left at the end - eggs, for example, and flour - and doesn't that just scream 'pancake' at you?  Shame there's no lemon or sugar.  Ah, but I will have jam.  Jammy pancakes - mmmmmmmmmmm.

The baked bean crumble recipe is so vague that I don't have the nerve to post it as a 'proper' recipe.
I sautéed onion, carrot and mixed peppers in a titchy bit of oil, added some garlic puree, then popped in half a tin of baked beans, a little chopped tomato and a very little seasoning (the baked beans were seasoned more than enough so no salt, just pepper).
While that was simmering away, I made the crumble topping with flour, butter, oats and some mixed herbs.  Sorry, I can't give amounts: as I make it so often I just go by feel and look.  Rub the butter into the flour, add the oats and the dried mixed herbs and a bit of salt/pepper (not much).

I put the two together in the time honoured crumble fashion and baked it in the oven for about 30 mins or so.  Scrummy!

And to prove it, here's the photographic evidence.  A very tasty dinner with concealed frugality!



And there's some beany mixture left over for another day.  Not a lot, but some.  Do I add it to the chilli con carne (Wed) or to the spag bol (Thurs).  Decisions, decisions!



No comments:

Post a Comment