Saturday 27 July 2013

recipe: courgette bake: Cheaper than Chips providing . . .

OK, so here's the background info first to explain the 'providing':

The courgette was given to me - thanks, Beth
The chives, parsley and thyme are out of the garden.  Dried would be fine.  Other herbs would be fine
The not-parmesan is a value product, as is the soft cheese.
The roll was left over from the meal I provided for guests yesterday and in the bad old days I would have chucked it out.
The tomatoes were also left overs, but they wouldnt have been chucked!
The amounts are vague because I used that I had and what I felt would work.  Go with the flow, so to speak.

Courgette bake

Ingredients
1 courgette, thinly sliced
a knob of butter (or oil - I like butter with courgettes)
two or three mushrooms, thinly sliced
some chives, snipped into little bits
some soft cheese - not the very light version because it doesn't melt all that well
some tomatoes, sliced.  I used leftover mini plum toms
garlic puree (not fresh garlic for this)
a finger roll (hot dog size)
some fresh thyme
some fresh parsley
freshly ground nutmeg
some not-parmesan (because it's value and also because vegetarians can then eat this and they couldn't if it was the real deal)
salt and pepper

Method.
Place the thyme, parsley and bread in a zizzer and zizz until it all looks like breadcrumbs.  Grate the not-parmesan and stir it in.  Add some freshly grated nutmeg and stir it in.  Then set aside.

Heat the butter in a pan and gently fry the courgettes until they are starting to brown.  Lay half of them in an oven proof dish.


Lay over the sliced mushrooms and sprinkle over some chives.


Lay over the rest of the sliced courgettes.
Add some dobs of soft cheese and some tiny dobs of garlic puree.


Lay over the tomato slices and some more chives.  Grind over some salt and pepper.
(Almost forgot to take a photo at this point, hence the breadcrumbs.  Ooops)

Finally, add the breadcrumb mixture and even off the top.


Bake in an oven at 180C until the top is browning and it all smells 'done'.


It was delicious.



2 comments:

  1. oooh, this looks yummy. I will be serving this as a side dish at the bbq for me and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very tasty - I hope you like it as much as I did. I think little slices of brie would do nicely instead of the soft cheese - and you can get Value brie too!
    J x

    ReplyDelete