Friday 2 August 2013

Cheaper than chips menu: 2-8-13

Back again after a few days away at my mum and dad's.  Very frugal eating for me because someone else (thanks, Mum) did the cooking/provided the food!  Runner beans and broad beans straight from the garden - mmmm.  Carrots straight f rom the garden - mmmmm.  I came home with a lettuce and a cucumber - you've guessed it - straight from the garden!  So. so delicious!

Today's food:
Breakfast:  bacon (value) and mushrooms
Lunch: cheg and salad, pineapple and yoghurt (must put more yoghurt on to make)
Dinner:  2 chipolata sausages, new potatoes, veg (probably peas), a few fried onions to go with the potatoes, fruit and yoghurt.

Lots of water as it's likely to be hot again, mint tea, a f ew coffees.

It'll be interesting to see how easily I slip back into no caffeine.  While I was away I wasn't going to bother mum and dad with requests for caffeine free stuff.  We will see.

I did a very frugal shop yesterday.  In the morning Dad and I popped down to Chapman's the Butchers (Best butchers shop in the area - if you live anywhere near Baldock, get your meat there!) for a little go see.  I succumbed, bought several things and then wasn't permitted to pay for it.  Lovely parents, bless them.  So very frugal indeed - for me!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice couple of days there is nothing quite like vegetables fresh from the garden. My carrots are not ready yet but I am really looking forward to them. This is the first year that I have grown them successfully. I planted them in bags with a long root run so they should be fine. My ground is so full of flint it is difficult to grow them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They should be OK grown that way, I agree. I love home grown veg. They may not look so beautiful at times and need washing, etc, but that's part of the fun, and the flavour is unbeatable.
    J x

    ReplyDelete