Saturday 3 August 2013

Recipe: bread: cheaper than chips

I've posted this before.  I daresay I will post it again.  Never mind, it's just such an amazingly frugal recipe and so utterly delicious it should be mentioned weekly!  (no, I won't, please don't go)

These two delicious loaves cost around 25p each.   50p for the whole lot!

Ingredients:
400g strong flour (from Lidl, 79p for a 1.5k bag
350 plain flour (value is fine and well frugal)
1.5 tsp dried yeast - the kind for breadmakers (don't buy sachets, they rob you blind: buy a tub or pack, Dove and Allinsons do them)
1.5 tsp salt - the ordinary cheap kind is fine.
2 tbsp oil - I use vegetable oil from Lidl, great value
480 - ish g/ml water

I cheat and use Thermione for the hard work.  You don't need gadgets, it makes perfectly well the old fashioned, hands in, lets get messy way.  The way that makes Paul Hollywood's hands look so sexy - you know!
I digress - back to the subject in hand - er - I mean back to the recipe!

I won't go into details about the method because I'm assuming it is well known.  There's lots of info on the internet.  But basically it's all in together, mix it round, knead it for ten minutes, let it rise, covered in a bowl till risen to double size, knock it back down again, divide into two equal portions, shape, pop it into tins, rise again, bake at around 400 for half an hour.  I then take them out of the tins and put them back in the oven (which has been turned off) for about 5 to 10 mins to get a nice crust.

That's it.  Just 25p for a fresh, home baked, delicious loaf - plus the cooking costs, I guess that should be a consideration too.
Amazing.  I must try baking bread in Handy Andy at some point, just to see if it does.


No comments:

Post a Comment