Monday 17 February 2014

Recipe: Cheese and paprika rolls

Ingredients:
250g flour - I used up the remains of a bag of plain flour and topped it up with strong flour about 150g and 100g
a heaped half tsp dried yeast
1 tsp salt
a very good pinch smoked paprika
some oil (not as much as usual because oul will come out of the cheese)
160mls water

a good handful of grated strong cheese - I've worked out that I used about 80g.

Method - the usual way:
Mix up all the ingredients apart from the cheese and kneed until the dough is stretchy.
Rise in an oiled bowl, covered, until doubled in size.
Knock back, folding in the cheese as you do so until it is well distributed.
shape into rolls.  I rolled them into 'sausages' and coiled them round, like a tear and share.  Place on an oiled baking sheet or cover the sheet with parchment first
Cover and prove until risen again.

Bake in the oven on in a halogen oven at around 180C.  About halfway through, sprinkle some more grated cheese over the top.
Just before the end, you may need to turn the rolls over to avoid the breadmaker's equivalent of a soggy bum, especially if you use a halogen oven.

They're lovely and I must experiment with different flavours.  Goodness knows, I've been baking for long enough, I ought to be more experimental.

I actually used Thermione and next time I will try adding the cheese at the beginning so it gets chopped and thoroughly incorporated into the dough.  I think that will work well.

This isn't extremely frugal as such because of the cheese, although I used some that had been reduced in Morrison's so it cost 50p.  The plain flour was value and I already had the smoked paprika.  It made about 11 very little rolls so I would say about five proper sized rolls.  Actually, that's not so bad, is it, given that they were highly superior to those cheese rolls you get in supermarkets!

And - sorry - I forgot to take a photo of the finished product!



No comments:

Post a Comment