Sunday 2 March 2014

Recipe: crustless quiche

I had that salty cream.
I had an egg yolk from the lemon mousse
I had sundry veg needing to be used up.
I had some leeks in the garden.
I needed to make a vegetarian option for Sunday lunch.

So . . . this is not exactly a recipe because the amounts are so variable - sorry.

Ingredients to serve four-ish
150mls cream (normal cream won't be salty so you will need to season
1 egg and one egg yolk (or two eggs)
leek, sliced thinly into rings
half red or yellow pepper
three or four mushrooms, sliced
four pieces of sundried tomato, sliced (because I had some)
butter
mixed herbs
mustard powder
smoked paprika
pepper
salt (if needed)
some grated cheese (strong is best because you get more flavour for your calories)

You can use any veg, the ones above were what I had.  Broccoli would be nice, peas, corn - oh, there's lots you could use.
If it is not for a vegetarian, you could add bits of ham, fish, meat, whatever . . .

Method:
Melt the butter in a pan.  Add the sliced leeks and fry gently.  Then add the yellow peppers, then the mushrooms and sundried tomatoes.  Stir occasionally and allow to fry gently until soft.  Take off the heat and allow to cool.

Beat the eggs into the cream.  Season to taste (I've listed what I did but, again, there's huge flexibility).  Mix well.
Add the cold vegetables and the cheese to the cream mixture and stir in.

Line an ovenproof dish with parchment that has been run under the tap and crumpled up, then shaken to remove most of the water droplets.  Pour the mixture into the dish.  Sprinkle over some grated cheese.

Bake in the oven at around 180C for about half an hour or so.  Eat hot - it's scrummy.




No comments:

Post a Comment