Sunday 7 December 2014

Christmas with Thermione: spiced bread

This came originally from the BBC Good food guide and I have adapted it somewhat for Thermione, making it simpler on the way as Thermomix adaptations so often are.
Here's the original.

I know it looks long and complex but put that down to my comments and so on.  Really it is dead easy!  Go for it!
It's deeeeeeeeelicious and I am glad I have a loaf and some slices to freeze after scoffing more than I should.  It seems to be a very flexible recipe so use what you have.


Ingredients to make two small loaves - I have underlined the ingredients to make then stand out from my comments.
450g strong white flour plus a little extra for kneeding
1/2 tsp salt.  The recipe said 3/4 tsp and then specifies unsalted butter.  Why???  A lack of common sense here, I suspect.
2 tsp ground cinnamon
85g sugar.  The original recipe asked for light muscavado.  I didn't have any (ooops, where's my shopping list?) but I had some soft light brown sugar so I used that and the dregs of a pack of golden caster sugar.
2 tsp dried yeast.  The kind for breadmakers that doesn't need activating (so much less hassle in this recipe as you will see if you follow the link)
200mls milk.  Recipe says whole fat, I only had semi-skimmed.  Tough!
50g butter plus extra for greasing.  The recipe said unsalted.  I fail to see why when you are adding salt so I reduced the amount of salt to 1/2 instead of 3/4 and use what I had - salted butter.
2 medium eggs.  I only had large so I reduced the milk a bit.
50g walnut pieces.  I'd use pistachios if I had any.
85g dried cranberries.  The recipe said raisins.  I had cranberries!

1 egg yolk to glaze (I didn't bother)

Method for Thermione.
Into the bowl place the flour, salt, cinnamon, sugar, yeast and butter.  Zizz on 4 for a short while to mix everything up and 'breadcrumb' the flour and butter.

Add the milk and the eggs, mix briefly and then knead for 10 minutes.

Turn the dough out, form into a ball and place in a buttered bowl.  Cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to double in size

Prepare the loaf tins (so you don't get caught out later).

Knock back the dough.  Knead in the walnuts and cranberries
Divide the mix into two and shape.  Place each loaf into a loaf tin, recover with the oiled film and leave in a warm place until dough reaches the top of the tin
Preheat the oven to 200C (gas 6)

Bake for 20 mins, then cover the top with foil, lower the heat to 180 and bake for another 15 mins or so until done.
Cool on a wire rack.

Eat and enjoy.  I did!  Very much.





No comments:

Post a Comment