Saturday 24 January 2015

Loopy with lentils: lentil bake

So, this little series is called 'Loopy with Lentils'.  Sorry - daft, I know, but there you go.  It's my blog and I can . . . etc . . .

The original recipe I found here.

Of course, I adapted it to what I have in the cupboard and fridge so made it my own.  I also used Thermione, althougb it would work just as well in a saucepan.  The lentil mix is truly delicious and I would be more than happy to have it with rice or with pasta.  However, I am topping it with mash (instant mash, sorry) rather than sliced potato.

I will say what I used and then how I did it in Thermione.  The conventional way is described in the link.

I made half amounts (but with more veg, I suspect) and it has made two single portions in the oven dishes I use for this sort of thing, which seems about right.

I used:
half a medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
a splash of vegetable oil
a third of a manky old red pepper I had in the fridge, finely chopped
about a fifth of a Morrisons bag of soup veg (leek, carrot and swede, I think)
a third of a medium sweet potato (lentils go SO well with sweet potato!), finely chopped
half a tsp crushed garlic
300 mls boiling water
one knorr vegetable stock pot
a squidge of tomato puree
some mixed dried herbs
some ground white pepper (but no salt because the stock pot has salt)

I put the oil and the onion in the bowl and sauted at 100 for five minutes, reverse speed 2
Then I added the rest of the veg and the garlic and continued to saute as before for another five minutes.
Then I added the rest of the ingredients and cooked it on Varoma (still reverse speed 2) for about twelve minutes or so.  I took the MC off for the last few minutes.  It wasn't too dry but, if it was, a dash of water would sort that out.

Then I tasted and wow!  Very tasty.  A bit of curry flavour would be lovely but not this time.

I intend to make up some cheesy mash and to top the mixture with the mash before baking for about 30 mins in the oven at around 180.

I have no idea of cost but even with the cheese it can't be dreadfully extravagant and it tastes wonderful.

Edited to add that with cheesy mash on top and baked in the oven at avout 180 for half an hour it was delicious and filling.  Some green veg on the side would work well but it was plenty filling enough on its own.



No comments:

Post a Comment