Wednesday 8 April 2015

Frugal: basic biscuits

The original is here.

I don't have much of a sweet tooth but when it lands a biscuit usually hits the spot.  I could pop to Morrisons and get some of their savers digestives but I rather fancied doing some baking anyway.  I searched and found a very simple but adaptable recipe.  However, this makes 35 biscuits and 35 is a lot to have around, calling out to you, so I got out the calculator and reduced it by a third.  I frugalised it by using baking spread instead of butter, using granulated sugar and zizzing it to caster sugar and, of course, using Savers flour

Ingredients to make 12
75g baking spread (12p)
36g sugar (5p)
90g plain flour (3p)
pinch or so of spice, if wanted - I have gone up to the next whole pence for the ingredients above which should more or less cover the little bit of spice used.

Method
Heat oven to 170C (fan 150)/gas 3
Zizz the sugar until caster sugar consistency
Add the spread and beat until the mixture is fluffy.
Fold in the flour and spice (I used mixed spice).
Use your hands to squidge the mixture into a dough.
Using floured hands, roll the dough into walnut sized balls, place them on a baking tray (it says no need to grease - mine was non stick) slightly apart and flatten slightly with a fork.

Bake for around 15 mins.
Cool on a wire rack.  They are soft when hot and firm off as they cool.  You could sprinkle them with caster sugar and if I had guests I might do so, but not just for me.

Each biscuit costs around 1.5p so you could have a couple with your cuppa for 3p.  They're very light, soft and crunchy.  More-ish so they are now out of sight in a tin!

No comments:

Post a Comment