Tuesday 7 April 2015

Frugal: Jack's peanut and honey granola

The other day instead of having the porridge with pineapple and yogurt I had planned I had a single portion packet of granola that had been given to me a while before and which needed using.  I just mixed it with the yogurt, pineapple and the light syrup that the pineapple was in and, you know, it was really delicious.
Then I remembered that Jack Monroe had created a granola recipe that I liked a lot so I dug it out and made some.
The recipe can easily be found here, on 'A Girl Called Jack' but as I converted some of the measures so that they were all weight, not capacity and rounded some up or down, here's what I did.
However, please go and visit Jack's site - she gives ideas for things to add and, anyway, it's a brilliant place to visit and look round.

Ingredients:
25g butter (I fear I used baking spread instead because that's what I had)  5p
100g peanut butter (I used Savers crunchy)  18p
60g honey  38p (expensive because I used what I had which wasn't a cheap honey!)
300g oats  22p

Method.
Turn on the oven to 180C/ gas 4
Place the butter (or whatever), peanut butter and honey in a large bowl and microwave on high for around half a minute until it's all soft and the butter has melted.  Mix it all together.
Stir in the oats until well combined.

Spread the mixture on an oiled baking sheet (I used two medium sized non stick trays) and flatten down with the back of a spoon or similar.

Bake for 15 mins (it smells wonderful).
Remove and allow to cool.
Break into small clusters.
When cold, transfer to an airtight container - I used a kilner jar.
It should keep for about a month.

According to the prices above, the lot will cost 83p.
My portion size is 40g
After baking, the lot came to 466g
That gives me 11 portions at 7.5p, let's call it 8p, per portion.  It would be less if I had used cheaper honey

But it gets better.  Because I am doing Breadline at present the oats and the peanut butter have already been paid for.
So, given that, each portion will cost 4p plus whatever I have with it.  Can't be bad!




No comments:

Post a Comment