Thursday 21 May 2015

Frugal flatbread

I wanted to make some flatbread to go with
a)  some hummus for my lunch and
b) a chickpea korma for dinner
so I googled around and made this.

Ingredients to make four not terribly large flatbreads (or two bigger ones, if that's preferred)
100g SR flour (Morrisons savers, 3p)
10g veg oil (Aldi veg oil 1p)
25g yogurt  (used home made, 1l for 49p so well under 1p)
cold water
seasoning, if wanted - salt, pepper, garlic, bit of chilli, whatever!

Method:
tip the flour, oil, yogurt and seasonings into a bowl and mix.  Add water bit by bit until a dough forms.  If it's too sloppy, add a bit more flour.  If it's too stiff, add a bit more water.
Lift the dough onto a floured surfqce and knead for a couple of minutes.  I did 100 stretch and folds which seemed about right.
While you are kneading the dough, heat a pan to upper medium heat.  No oil needed.
Divide the dough into four equal bits.
Shape and roll each bit out.  I rolled mine quite thin and they puffed up nicely when dry frying.  Shape doesn't matter but a sort of circle will fit in your pan better.
Cook one at a time, around a minute on each side, until each side has just started to brown.

Either eat immediately or this is what I did.
I cut two into strips and bagged to take with me to work.  They will be nice with the hummus.
The other two I placed in a poly bag, sucked the air out and tied the top in a knot so it's a sort of gentle vacu-pack, which should keep them fresh.  I will have them tonight instead of rice with my chickpea korma.

Really, really easy and most satisfying to make.  Good for kids to make (supervise the cooking part) and you could use cookie cutters to make different shapes, re-using the cut off bits to roll again.

Cost:  between 1p and 2p each, if you make four.

No comments:

Post a Comment