Sunday 3 May 2015

Storecupboard: mushy pea and ham soup

This came about because I sorted out my food cupboard and found two random tins of mushy peas, one a Savers and one a named brand.  Neither were dear although soaking and boiling my own would be cheaper.  I have no idea how old the cans were (I didn't like to look).
I also had some ham stock from boiling up a ham last week.  The stock was delicious (it isn't always) so I froze it in portions.  I also had some shredded ham from same source.



Mushy pea and ham soup
Ingredients
1 small onion (5p)
1 carrot (free)
10g - yes, grams - vegetable oil (1p)
2 cans mushy peas (48p together)
Ham stock (free)
bits of ham (42p)
pepper (neg)
NO salt as the stock was salty enough.

Method
In a saucepan, gently fry the chopped onion and carrot in the oil until soft.  Add the mushy peas, the ham stock and some pepper.  Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are soft (doesn't take long).
Remove from the heat and zizz with a stock blender until very smooth.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, then add the ham bits.

(I used Thermione so the method was slightly different although essentially the same)

The way I did it resulted in a very, very thick soup, too thick, so I took off half a portion and slackened it with about an equal amount of milk, mixed it well and reheated.  It was lovely and made a lovely mid-morning snack!

The rest is now frozen in half single portion amounts with clear instructions to slacken with milk before heating.

So, at 4 and a half portions, I priced this at around 22p per portion.  It would be more if you had to make or buy your own ham stock.  You could use a different stock but it wouldn't be ham and pea then.

No comments:

Post a Comment