Sunday 7 June 2015

Soft cheese - the next chapter

The wire sieve didn't work.  I could see straight away that the yogurt was starting to drip through.  So that put paid to that idea.

So I put the sieve over a bowl and lined it with one sheet of that stronger than usual almost-like-fabric (except that it isn't fabric) kitchen towel and lo and behold, the whey immediately started dripping.
There's not so much 'fabric' to soak up the whey so there should be more in the bowl.

So it's all covered with cling film and in the fridge for three to four days to see what happens.

I suspect as much whey will drip out but the results will be creamier tasting and less yogurt-y in flavour because the yogurt was made with whole milk rather than skimmed or semi skimmed.  If that works (and it should), I will try some flavourings next.

(Nearly forgot to add some salt though!)

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried making paneer it is very easy and delicious. recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paneer_86451

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't. It is an Indian thing, isn't it. I will take a look, thanks.
    J x

    ReplyDelete