Tuesday 21 July 2015

Recipe: best ever soda bread

I have a friend who cannot eat yeast based products so when she comes to stay I either buy or make soda bread for us.
She was with me this weekend, supporting me through an emotional time.  She has responsibility for Student Support in the OU Students' Association, and she does a great job.  Words cannot say how grateful I am to her for this weekend . . .

This weekend I adapted my soda bread recipe a bit.  I cut down on the liquid (because last time the dough was very soft and flattened) and used strong flour instead of ordinary.
Her comment was 'This bread is very good' or words to that effect (and it was) so I have annotated my recipe accordingly.  Sorry, no photo . . .

Here it is.

Ingredients:
400g strong flour (I use 200 white and 200 wholemeal)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250 mls buttermilk (because that's how Morrisons sells it) - although I now use yogurt
50 mls milk

Method.
Ten minutes or so before, turn the oven on to 230C so that it is hot when you mix the ingredients because it is literally a couple of minutes, if that.

Bung the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.  Knead briefly but not too much
(I used Thermione and used the knead function for about 15 seconds after mixing it together for about 10 seconds).
Shape into an oval loaf shape.
Place on a baking sheet (I put a teflon sheet on first).
Make several deep diagonal slashes across with a sharp knife.
Bake in the hot oven for 15 mins, then reduce the heat to 180C and bake for another 25 mins or so.

Cool on a wire rack.

It is absolutely gorgeous still warm with butter and a good flavoured cheese and home made pickle or a home made jam or curd.

It dried out quickly and then it toasts well and is great with scrambled egg.

If you want to freeze it, you can - wrap it well as soon as it is cool or, even better, individually slice and wrap.

Even when using strong flour (from Aldi, 75p for 1500g), it is a frugal and delicious bread.  Go on - have a go!


No comments:

Post a Comment