Monday 21 September 2015

Cheese and chive soda bread

This is another Lorraine Pascale recipe, slightly adapted to suit
what I had - or rather what I didn't have - and made smaller because it is just me!



The original is out there - here's a link to one place that has the recipe.  I have to say, I totally agree when the writer says the recipes are good for novices.  They are nicely simple and explanations are clear.

 I will describe what I did.  Mainly I left out the ham because I didn't have any and also because if I included it, Beth couldn't have any and that would never do.
Also, I halved the quantities.  When i make it again I will do the full amount but I will make two smaller loaves and freeze one.

So
212g self raising flour
half tsp baking powder
quarter tsp salt
75g finely grated cheddar plus a bit more for sprinkling over the top
some chives, chopped.  I got them from the garden.  The instructions say half a bunch which vague in the extreme.  I just put in what I thought looked about right.  I don't think it would really matter.
some black pepper
half tsp paprika - I used smoked paprika because that's what I have and also I love it
half tsp mustard powder.  Optional but mustard and cheese are a flavour marriage made in heaven.
about 110mls cold water

Preheat oven to 200C (I did 180 in my fan oven)

Add all the ingredients except the water and extra cheese and mix well.  Add 100mls water and stir it in, then go in with your hands and squidge it all together, adding more water if needed.

Shape the dough into a ball, flatten the top slightly and slash it across the top with a sharp knife - I made a slight ovoid and did three slashes.

Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese, place the dough on a baking tray (I used a teflon sheet as well) and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes until the bread is golden brown and cooked through.

The instructions also tell you to spray the dough with water and have some water in the oven to create steam but I didn't.

It smelled wonderful while cooking and tastes delicious.  Essentially it is a cheese scone/glorified soda bread recipe, but it works and it's tasty.  For what more can one ask?


4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a real success

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was, Diane. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it, Beth. I'll definitely do it again when you're coming round!
    J x

    ReplyDelete