Monday 16 November 2015

Soup: Corn chowder


Thank you, Google Images.
I made this a few weeks ago and froze most of it in single portions and I can't believe I didn't blog about it at the time.  I've looked back and it seems to have slipped through the net.

I took this to school today and while it was reheating in the microwave in the staffroom two people came up, separately, to say how delicious it smelled.  I have to say it really did.  It's one of those soups that, when it has been frozen and thawed, looks a bit unpromising, almost 'leathery' but which regains its 'creaminess' as it heats up.
It was dead easy, minimal ingredients, a prime example of the sum total being much greater than the individual parts.  Definitely another on my ever increasing list of Things To Make Again - and it's dead easy!

Corn chowder

Ingredients
1 onion diced
2 corn on the cobs or equivalent frozen or tinned corn (guess or use your common sense)
a hand full of finely diced potatoes skin on or off as you wish (I took it off)
a stock cubes (I used vegetable stockpots)


First fry the onion in fat of your choice (I used rapeseed oil but butter would be nice), then strip the corn from the cob with a sharp knife (or open a small can of corn which is what I did!) and dice an equal quantity of potatoes and add them to the pot with a litre or so of water and, if you are using 'raw' corn, boil for 5 minutes before you add the stock cubes as salt would make the corn tough. It is not a problem if you use tinned or frozen corn.  Obviously if you have some decent stock that would be better - a real chicken stock would be lovely.   Once cooked, give it a bit of a blast with a stick blender until it is the texture you desire.  I zizzed it quite smooth and them , to be sure, pushed it through a sieve because I love smooth creamy soups.  Alternatively take out a third of the veg and blitz the rest in a blender.  You can make it more interesting by crumbling some crispy bacon on top or even some well fried onions. Like most soups it freezes really well.  

If you are blessed with a Thermomix, saute the chopped onion is a little oil for 5 mins, 100, speed 2.  Then bung in the corn and the water (and stock if using frozen or tinner corn) and the potato.

Boil on 100, speed 2, until the vegetables are soft, then zizz on 10 for a minute or until the texture you want.  Check seasoning, adjust, re-heat if necessary and serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment