Wednesday 2 December 2015

Christmas leftovers: mincemeat scrolls

I had some mincemeat left over and fancied trying these.  I've not made much sweet dough so it was a bit ad hoc but the results were great.  The recipe below made twelve little scrolls and, unfortunately, several seemed to vanish before they reached the freezer.  How strange.  I don't have an elf on the shelf so it's a puzzle!!!

This is NOT what I made.  I've posted it to show what I mean by scrolls.  Mine were smaller and much, much nicer (of course!)
I shall make more before Christmas as they will be absolutely scrummy on the Christmas Eve buffet table and  are a great alternative to mince pies.

Ingredients
220g strong flour
half tsp dried yeast - the kind for breadmakers
a scant half tsp salt
2 heaped tsps sugar (I just used granulated but some of the brown sugars might be nice)
30 g butter
1 tbsp dried milk powder
a really good pinch of garam masala (it's great for sweet spiciness but if you don't fancy it, use cinnamon or allspice)
130mls warm water (or maybe orange juice would be nice - I didn't use any so can't say but perhaps I will try that next time)

mincemeat
chopped walnuts (or other nuts to own taste)
dried cranberries
maple syrup
sugar
(some alcoholic something might be nice too!)

Method
The thermomix way
Into the bowl; place the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, dried milk, garam masala and cubed butter.  Zizz it around a bit until the butter has breadcrumbed and everything is mixed.
Add the warm water.
Knead for 15 mins (I read that sweet dough needs more kneading because it is a wetter, softer dough).
(Or - the usual way, place ingredients in a bowl, rub in the butter, add water and mix, then knead until you have a smooth, stretchy dough)

This is actually a very soft enriched dough which can feel quite messy to start with but be patient, it does come together.  If you're really unhappy about how soft and sticky it is, add a little more flour.  If it seems to be too firm and dry, add a little more water.

When finished, tip out onto a floured surface, knead briefly into a ball (it was so soft I used a dough scraper) and place in an oiled bowl.  Cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until double the size.

Tip the dough out onto a floured (or oiled) surface and bash back - it handled better after the rising, I found.  Shape into a rectangle and roll it out, keeping rectangular proportions.  You want a length long enough to roll up like a swiss roll while the width will depend on how much flour, etc, you used.  I rolled it quite thin.

First, mix together in a bowl your mincemeat, chopped nuts, dried cranberries and maple syrup (and whatever else you fancy) and mix well.
Over the dough, sprinkle  some sugar (I used demerara), then spread over the mincemeat mix.  Not too thick but there should be a thin coating over the whole dough, some of which will be the liquid rather than dried fruit - no white spaces!  Onto that sprinkle some more sugar.

Starting at one end, carefully roll up the dough as you would roll a swiss roll, not too loose.  Then cut the resulting 'sausage' into slices, each around one inch thick, maybe a little less.  I got twelve, two of which were the ends.  I slid my sausage onto a chopping board and used a sharp cleaver.

(It did occur to me that I could prove and bake it in a sausage and I will try that at some point!)

Line a small roasting dish (one with sides) with parchment that you have scrunched up so it takes the shape of the dish.
Carefully place each  slice in the dish fairly close to each other (mine fitted 3x4).
Sprinkle more sugar over the top.  Cover with cling film and leave to prove.  When about doubled in size, place in a preheated oven, 170 C (fan) and bake for around half an hour.  Towards the end, cover the top with some foil.
Then lift the whole lot out of the roasting dish, paper and all, and place back in the oven for another five minutes (keep the foil on)  I did this to make sure the 'underneath' was properly baked in the middle after recalling Mr Hollywood's comments about raw dough on Bake Off.

Then place the scrolls (which should be joined together) upside down on a cooling rack and peel off the parchment.  The scrolls should be gooey and sticky and luscious.  Allow to cool somewhat before pulling off the first scroll and sampling it.  I tested the ends first and then - er - a few others!

They would be nice with icing drizzled over or - what I will do next time - dredge over some icing sugar!

After all that I did mean to take a photo but forgot so you will have to take my word for it that they are wonderful!



2 comments:

  1. They look more-ish, a mincemeat version of Danish pastries. What a good idea! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) They are very tasty and I shall be making some more at some point.
    J x

    ReplyDelete