Tuesday 22 November 2016

Caramelised red onion chutney

I found this on a Facebook group I help to admin. It's a Slimming World  recipe, but I haven't found it exactly anywhere online so I will reproduce it in full and if anyone has the link, please let me know.

Here it is, as it was given to me.

CARAMELIZED RED ONION CHUTNEY.
For those on slimming world, 4 syns for the lot (it said - I'm not sure.  It's a lot of sugar!)

Ingredients
Frylight or about 1 tablespoon oil
8 red onions, sliced
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (I used chili puree
4 cloves garlic, peeled and grated (I used lazy garlic from a jar)
2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (I used lazt ginger from a jar)
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
150ml balsamic vinegar
150ml red wine vinegar
8 tablespoons sugar  (I used demerara)

Method
Gently fry the onions, garlic, ginger, chilli on a very low heat until soft, dark (not burned or crisp) & slightly sticky, this takes about 20 - 30 minutes.
Add the allspice & cook for a minute or two to heat the spice & release the flavour/aroma, stirring gently.
Add the sugar/sweetener & vinegars & simmer very gently for about 30 minutes or until thick, dark & sticky.
Pour into hot, sterilized jars, seal & leave to cool.
Ideally should be left for a month or more to mature the flavours.

If made in the next few days this will be matured & delicious in time for Christmas. 

I actually made it in  Thermione and it was great.  Just one thing - for goodness sakes open the kitchen windows, close the kitchen door and use the extractor fan, if you have one.  The pong lingers.


1 comment: